Homecoming at Hopewell is Sunday, August 4th at 10:30 EST
Come back to this page all week to learn about our church’s history.
Hopewell United Methodist Church
The Treaty of Cusseta, signed March 24, 1832, was an agreement between the U.S. government and the Creek Nation in which the Creek Indians ceded the remainder of their land east of the Mississippi River, all of which was in east Alabama. This opened eastern Alabama for settlement.
Ferries were established along the Chattahoochee River to allow settlers to move from Georgia into the undeveloped areas west of the Chattahoochee. One such ferry is mentioned by James (Jim) Watson in his preface to the book, When the Dinner Bell Rang A History of the Hopewell Community by Ronald D. Williams, “Eli Collins built a ferry, and the road we know today as Hopewell Road came into existence. That road continued on across Chambers County, through Cusseta and Oak Bowery, and westward across Alabama. In Due time, it would become a major artery for those who would settle our west.”
The early settlers established houses of worship on their journey westward. One of which is today Hopewell United Methodist Church. Watson states, “This devotion to proper houses of worship is symbolic of those people’s faith in God. It explains their unwillingness to live in a community without a church……These pioneers took the cause of Christ and His righteousness very seriously.”
It is seven years after the signing of the Treaty of Cusseta when we find the beginnings of Hopewell United Methodist Church.
…………..To be continued